Ryan Oulahen (left) and Jon Insana
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Grand Rapids Griffins on Wednesday introduced their new Rbk EDGE uniforms during intermission of the “Wings for Lunch” event at Van Andel Arena.
With more than 3,000 fans and two dozen media in attendance to watch Detroit Red Wings and Griffins practices, the Griffins unveiled their first game sweater design change in five seasons and just the second in the franchise’s 12-year history. Griffins players Ryan Oulahen and Jon Insana modeled the home white and road blue jerseys, whose new features include a streamlined shape, solid color shoulders and vertical striping up each side.
All 29 American Hockey League teams will use Reebok’s new Rbk EDGE Uniform System™ beginning with the 2007-08 season. This league-wide uniform innovation was established by Reebok with the National Hockey League earlier this year with performance and safety at the forefront of the design process. After more than two years of research and testing, including integral player feedback, the Rbk EDGE Uniform System will debut this fall in only two leagues worldwide: the NHL and the AHL.
Featuring technologically advanced materials and fabrics that are more breathable and more resistant to water absorption and that offer greater range of movement, the Rbk EDGE Uniform System provides comfort and improved compatibility with equipment while helping to enhance player performance. Highlights include:
• Four lighter fabrics incorporated in the jersey, pants and socks to keep players drier while also adding increased durability to the uniform;
• The jerseys’ stretch fabric in the collar features Rbk’s innovative Playdry™ moisture management technology to maximize comfort, breathability and temperature control;
• The stretch mesh in areas including the underarms and back provides additional range of motion and increased ventilation;
• 4Way Stretch Pique features Rbk’s latest innovation, Bead Away™ water repellent technology, offering freedom of movement while retaining 76 percent less moisture than current AHL jerseys;
• X-trafil is incorporated into high-abrasion areas such as the shoulders and elbows to provide increased durability.
The Zone, the official merchandise store of the Griffins, is currently accepting pre-orders from fans for both authentic and replica jerseys, which are expected to be in stock by next week. Call (616) 774-4585 ext. 3056. Retail prices are $109.99 for a youth replica, $124.99 for an adult replica, and $249.99 for an adult authentic.
Wings for Lunch coverage - WOOD TV8 (Sept. 19, 2007)
New jersey unveiling - WOOD TV8 (Sept. 19, 2007)
Wings for Lunch coverage - WZZM 13 (Sept. 19, 2007)
Video from Mlive.com
Photos from Mlive.com
To view the Wings for Lunch photo gallery, click here
To listen to audio clips recorded from the locker room following the event, click here