GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – With the start of single-game ticket sales just two days away, the Grand Rapids Griffins on Thursday announced their 2007-08 promotional schedule.
“It’s Showtime!” begins Oct. 20-21 with Opening Weekend presented by Comcast. In the home opener versus Rockford on Saturday, Oct. 20, the Griffins will look to extend their opening-night sellout streak to an unprecedented 12 years. Fans are invited to a pep rally on the Van Andel Arena plaza prior to the game, with live music, food, fun and games. Pre-game festivities will include a fireworks and light show, and Grand Rapids’ own Domestic Problems will perform live before the game and during intermissions.
The Sunday, Oct. 21 game against Quad City will feature a pre-game light show and a kids’ carnival complete with clowns and face painting.
Single-game tickets for the opening weekend, along with all 40 of the Griffins’ regular season home games at Van Andel Arena, will go on sale to the general public this Saturday, Sept. 15 at 10 a.m. Ticket prices remain unchanged from last season: $13 and $15 in the arena’s upper bowl, and $17, $20 and $25 in the lower bowl. A limited number of upper bowl tickets also go on sale for just $5 two weeks prior to each game.
Griffins tickets can be purchased in advance of game night through the following methods (all purchases subject to a convenience charge):
• In person at The Zone at Van Andel Arena;
• In person at Star Tickets Plus outlets, including all Meijer stores;
• By phone through Star Tickets Plus at 1-800-585-3737;
• Via the web through a link at griffinshockey.com.
On game night, tickets may be purchased without a convenience charge at the Van Andel Arena box office, beginning 90 minutes before game time. Fans who attend multiple games can avoid charges and receive a discount from the single-game price by purchasing a five-, 10- or 20-game mini plan. These plans, along with full season and group ticket packages, may be ordered through the Griffins’ office at (800) 2-HOCKEY.
“It’s Showtime!” will be highlighted by celebrity appearances by Detroit Red Wings legend Steve Yzerman (Nov. 1), High School Musical star Corbin Bleu (Dec. 8), Nashville recording sensation Bomshel (Dec. 15), Detroit Tigers third baseman Brandon Inge (Jan. 18), Hanna Montana’s Cody Linley (Feb. 16), American Idol performer Phil Stacey (Feb. 23) and former Detroit Piston Rick Mahorn (March 15), along with visits by a NASCAR driver (Jan. 12) and a current Red Wings player (Jan. 26).
Other key promotional dates include the seventh annual Matinee Game presented by Lake Michigan Credit Union (Nov. 13), the popular Teddy Bear Toss (Nov. 24), a college hockey showdown between Calvin and Hope (Dec. 7), and Griff’s 11th annual New Year’s Eve Bash.
Several recurring promotions will also be featured throughout the Griffins’ schedule, including 15 O’Charley’s Post-Game O’pen Skates and 12 post-game autograph sessions with Griffins players. All Friday games will feature a trio of promotions: the Wendy’s Friday Family Four Pack, Bono’s Pit BBQ Student Nights, and the new Library Nights, when fans who present a public library card at the box office can purchase an upper bowl ticket for just $5.
All promotions and dates are subject to changes. For more information, visit griffinshockey.com or call (800) 2-HOCKEY.
Oct. 20-21: Opening Weekend presented by Comcast
• Pre-game, pep-rally/party on plaza, with live music, food, fun and games
• Pre-game lights and fireworks show
• Grand Rapid’s own Domestic Problems performs live before the game and during intermissions
• Kids’ carnival with clowns, face-painting and jumping castle on the concourse
• Pre-game lights show
Nov. 1: Fifth Third Bank Presents Steve Yzerman
• Steve Yzerman on-ice during the first intermission to kick off the Fifth Third Bank Stick Drive for the Griffins Youth Foundation
Nov. 10: Saluting Our Heroes
• Pre-game and in-game salutes/recognition of local police, fire fighters and paramedics
Nov. 13: You Can Be Anything – 7th Annual Matinee Game presented by Lake Michigan Credit Union
• In tribute to President Ford, the Gerald R. Ford Library will provide interactive exhibits on the concourse
• Congressman Vern Elhers from the U.S. House of Representatives will take part in pre-game activities with students
Nov. 23: Griffins Magical Mystery Show
• Yellowsub Marines (Beatles tribute band) from Lansing
Nov. 24: Teddy Bear Toss for charity
Dec. 7: College Night - Calvin vs. Hope Hockey Showdown
• 6:30 p.m. Griffins start, followed by a college hockey showdown between rivals Calvin and Hope
Dec. 8: Disney’s High School Musical’s Corbin Bleu
• Corbin Bleu will meet fans and sign autograph pre-game and be on ice during the first intermission
Dec. 15: Nashville North with Bomshel
• Bomshel meets fans and signs autographs pre-game, and performs from the ice during the first intermission
Dec. 22: Griff’s Holiday Party
Dec. 31: Griff’s New Year’s Bash
• West Michigan’s largest indoor lights and fireworks show after the game
Jan. 12: NASCAR Night
• Special appearance and autograph session with a NASCAR driver
Jan. 18: Tiger Time with Brandon Inge
• Meet Brandon Inge before the game, as he signs autographs and appears on ice for puck drop
Jan. 26: Hey! Hey! Hockeytown
• Special appearance and autograph session with a Red Wings player
Feb. 15: It’s Margaritaville
• Griffins put an “island” twist on the night, from in-game music to live entertainment
Feb. 16: It’s Your American Idol!
• Phil Stacey from the most recent American Idol season will meet fans and sign autographs pre-game, and perform from the ice during first intermission
Feb. 22: Faith & Family Night
Feb. 23: TV Showtime
• Griffins welcome Cody Linley (also known as Jake Ryan from Hanna Montana) for pre-game meet-n-sign, plus an appearance on ice
March 2: Griff’s Carnival/Reading Day
• Griff invites all area mascots to come out and be part of the game day fun
• Celebrate Reading Day with 2-for-1 ticket deal for public library cardholders, a kids’ storybook costume contest and more
March 15: Bad Boys! Bad Boys! with Rick Mahorn
• Former Piston Rick Mahorn meets and signs autographs for fans pre-game and appears on ice for the puck drop
March 28-29: Spring Fling Weekend
April 12: Season Finale presented by your West Michigan Chrysler Jeep Dealers
Bud Light Friday Nights: Enjoy watching the game from the Bud Light Porch Party or Bud Light Crease. Nov. 23, Dec. 7, 14 and 21, Jan. 11 and 18, Feb. 15 and 22, March 28, April 4 and 11.
Wendy’s Friday Family Four Pack: For all Friday games, get 4 tickets and 4 Wendy’s Single combos for just $44. Available at Star Tickets Plus Outlets.
Bono’s Pit BBQ Student Nights: Every Friday, students can visit the arena box office to purchase a lower bowl ticket for $10 (student ID required).
Library Nights: Every Friday, fans who present a public library card (Grand Rapids Public Library, Kent District Library or Lakeland Library Cooperative) at the arena box office can purchase an upper bowl ticket for $5.
The Talsma Terrace: Located on the terrace level above section 118, this section provides fans the best seat in the house, with La-Z-Boy chairs and an array of unprecedented amenities.
O’Charley’s Post-Game O’pen Skates: Oct. 20 and 28; Nov. 10 and 24; Dec. 8, 15, 22 and 31; Jan. 12 and 26; Feb. 16 and 23; March 2 and 15; April 12.
Griffins Post-Game Autograph Sessions: Oct. 20 and 28; Nov. 10; Dec. 8, 15 and 22; Jan. 12 and 26; Feb. 15 and 22; March 2; April 12.