GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.
– The Grand Rapids Griffins will host their fourth annual “Pups and Pucks” Fall Walk-a-Thon presented by BeeneGarter L.L.P. on Monday, Oct. 10 at Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary in Lake Odessa, Mich.
The festivities kick off at 4:30 p.m. with the Walk-a-Thon set to begin at 5:45 p.m. Griffins players, coaches and front office staff will walk rescued dogs for pledges made by fans through pupsandpucks.com
. Everyone is encouraged to attend (with or without a dog to walk) and assist in raising funds and awareness for Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary, the largest no-kill sanctuary in the Midwest, as they work to find loving homes for abused, abandoned and neglected dogs. Fans can collect their own pledges and enjoy a variety of activities throughout the evening:
• Live Music by Lew Russ
– From 4:30-8:30 p.m.;
• BBQ Dinner
– Provided by Texas Roadhouse;
• Hay Rides
– Enjoy a hay ride around the sanctuary;
• Puppy Pumpkin Decorating
– Create a puppy pumpkin using paints and other fun materials at the arts and crafts station;
• Best-Dressed Doggie Contest
– Best-dressed dog wins a prize;
• Pet Experts and Vendors
– A variety of animal professionals, including Dr. Richard Bennett, and pet vendors will be available to share information about their services and answer questions about your pet needs;
• Live and Silent Auctions
– Features items ranging from team-signed Griffins jerseys, spa packages and Bissell vacuums, to celebrity-signed merchandise and local restaurant gift certificates;
• Caricature Artists
– Get a caricature painted of you and your furry friend;
– From 5-7:30 p.m., have your dog microchipped for $20 with the “Home Again” anti-migration chip;
• Bake Sale
– Snack on a delicious treat or get one to take home;
• Petting Zoo
– Fans are welcome to enjoy a petting zoo presented by Farm Animals on the Go!
Fans wishing to participate in the walk-a-thon are encouraged, but not required, to collect pledges for the event. There is a $10 entry fee per person attending, but children 12 and under are free. The top five fundraisers will receive prizes.
Fans bringing a dog to walk must register their dog and present proof of healthcare and vaccinations. Registration begins at 4:30 p.m., but fans are encouraged to pre-register online
to speed up the check-in process. The first 100 people to pre-register will receive a walk-a-thon t-shirt and goodie bag upon checking in.
In each of its first three years, the event has raised over $15,000 in support of Mackenzie’s Animal Santuary. Money raised will be set aside for the development of an on-site veterinary clinic, which will allow Mackenzie’s to continue providing a high standard of care to all dogs in need through spay/neuters, x-rays and routine vaccinations and exams.
For more information, or to make a donation, please visit mackenzies.info/events/walkathon.php