GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins will host their sixth annual “Pups and Pucks” Fall Walk-a-Thon presented by BeeneGarter L.L.P. on Monday, Oct. 14 at Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary in Lake Odessa, Mich.
Griffins players, coaches and front office staff will walk rescued dogs for pledges made by fans online at PupsandPucks.com. The festivities are set to begin at 5 p.m. and will feature a variety of family-friendly activities before and after the event.
Fans are encouraged, but not required, to register and collect their own pledges in the time leading up to the Walk-a-Thon. Upon registering, fans can easily personalize their fundraising page by uploading photos before emailing it to friends and family.
Founded in August 1999, Mackenzie’s Animal Sanctuary is the largest no-kill sanctuary in the Midwest and continues to provide safe homes to abused, abandoned and neglected dogs. Mackenzie’s also pledges to assist in public education for the betterment of the local animal community, works to stop the cycle of unwanted litters through spay/neuters and maintains the highest standards of care for their animals including veterinary treatment, housing, love, tenderness and compassion.
A full schedule of the evening’s events include:
• Live Music – From 5-8:30 p.m.;
• BBQ Dinner – Provided by FOODesign by Chef Brech;
• Hay Rides – Enjoy a hay ride around the sanctuary;
• Puppy Pumpkin Decorating – Create a puppy pumpkin using paints and other fun materials at the arts and crafts station;
• Best-Dressed Doggie Contest – Best-dressed dog wins a prize;
• Pet Experts and Vendors – A variety of pet vendors and animal professionals, including Dr. Richard Bennett, will be available to share information about their services and answer questions about your pet needs;
• Live and Silent Auctions – Features items ranging from team-signed Griffins jerseys, spa packages and Bissell vacuums, to celebrity-signed merchandise and local restaurant gift certificates;
• Caricature Artists – Get a caricature painted of you and your furry friend;
• Microchipping – From 5-7:30 p.m., have your dog microchipped for $20 with the “Home Again” anti-migration chip;
• Bake Sale – Snack on a delicious treat or get one to take home;
• Petting Zoo – Fans are welcome to enjoy a petting zoo presented by Farm Animals on the Go!
There is a $10 entry fee per person attending, but children 12 and under are free. The top fundraisers will receive prizes. Anyone wishing to walk their own dog must register their pet and present proof of healthcare and vaccinations, either by faxing it to Mackenzie’s office (616-855-2285) or by submitting it with their registration form. On-site registration begins at 5 p.m., but fans are encouraged to pre-register online to speed up the check-in process. The first 100 people to pre-register will receive a Walk-a-Thon t-shirt and goodie bag upon checking in.
In the past five years of fundraising, the event has raised enough money to fund an on-site veterinarian clinic for Mackenzie’s. The new clinic furthers the mission of providing high standards of care for animals and enables Mackenzie’s to provide spay/neuters, dental exams, x-rays and routing vaccinations and check-ups.